The upstairs redo

Monday, September 23, 2013

When I bought my current house about 10 years ago (wow 10 yrs.!!!) the stairs were god awful so they needed to be updated. It only to 8 years to get around to it but it did get done and I couldn't be happier with the result!



 So my Dad had the amazing idea to use 1/4 inch plywood as an overlay to the current risers that were on the stairs (I tried to remove the glue that was on them and there was no hope)......I was a lil nervous but Dad always knows but :) and it really worked out perfect. And the amount for money that I saved was hundreds of dollars. 





There was a cheap thin carpet over the stairs when we stated and I have a picture somewhere of that unfortunate design choice...so after ripping that out I painted walls, trim, base board a bright white. 







Ripping all the carpet out meant that I had to come up with something for the landing to the kids rooms and off to Lowe's I went. I picked up a saggy cream remnant for something like $60.00 not to bad. We didn't put a carpet pad down just because there isn't much traffic in this part of the house







After many coats of stain and poly we were ready to install these plywood overlays for my stairs. 






I think I had about $100 into this project and it was one of the best $100 I've ever spent.Hope you find this helpfully and if you have any questions please comment :) 







Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Most Reading